BTEC and NCFE Units
We can deliver all the units associated with outdoor education for BTEC and NCFE qualifications which some colleges are not always well resourced to deliver. Our courses are delivered on either a daily basis or during a 1 week (5 day) residential visit.
Rock and River has been delivering Public Services and Sports Units since 1999 and currently enjoys close relationships with colleges all over the country. The education team at Rock and River is made up of experienced and qualified professionals holding P.G.C.E, Cert Ed and National Governing Body Awards (Outdoor Pursuits).
We run BTEC and NCFE Units in the following:
BTEC Public Service Level Three
- Unit 06: Fitness Testing and Training for the Uniformed Public Services
- Unit 09: Outdoor and Adventurous Expeditions
- Unit 10: Skills for Land-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Unit 11: Skills for Water-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Unit 35: Land Navigation by Map and Compass
BTEC Public Service Level Two
- Unit 05: Improving Health and Fitness for Entry to the Uniformed Public Services
- Unit 08: Adventurous Activities and Teamwork for the Public Services
- Unit 10: Land Navigation by Map and Compass
- Unit 15: Expedition Skills in Public Services
BTEC Sport Level Three
- Unit 10: Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Unit 33: Skills for Land-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Unit 34: Skills for Water-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Unit 35: Leading Land-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Unit 36: Leading Water-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Unit 37: Outdoor and Adventurous Expeditions
BTEC Sport Level Two
- Unit 03: Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Unit 16: Leading Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Unit 17: Expedition Experience
NCFE Level One
- Personal Development for the Outdoor Industries
- Unit 05: Carry out essential Map Reading and Navigation
- Unit 09: Participate in Adventurous Activities
NCFE Level Two
- Unit 05: Carry Out Map Reading and Navigation
- Unit 09: Participate in Adventurous Activities
NCFE Level Three
- Unit 05: Carry out Map Reading and Navigation Across Open Country
- unit 08: Assist in Planning and Leading Adventurous Activities
We are committed to delivering affordable courses without compromising on quality, and we have developed a number of options to allow colleges more flexibility when booking.
Our full packages provide an opportunity to complete your specialist outdoor units quickly and professionally with the minimum of fuss. We cover all practical and theoretical elements using fully qualified/experienced staff with all specialist equipment supplied.
- A 5 day, full board residential including bunkhouse accommodation and catered meals
- All specialist equipment supplied (as required)
- All practical and theoretical work undertaken
- Full internal moderation process
- Pre College visits to inform staff and students what to expect
- Post College visit to ensure that all work is completed and give students the chance to upgrade (as necessary)
- Assessments carried out by fully qualified staff
- A choice of stunning locations for offsite trips across the North West (Climbing and Navigation)
- Evening activities from 6 til 8pm (as required)
Practical-only packages provide another option for colleges that have the expertise to deliver the theory, but lack the resources/qualifications to deliver the practical elements. These can often be delivered over a shorter period (approx 3days) and this is reflected in the price. Theory aspects of the course can be provided for tutors upon request.
There are also many other options that provide a great level of flexibility which allow us to tailor-make a course that suits your needs and budget.
To discuss further, or arrange a visit from our Education team, please contact us on:
01704 822 644
What people are saying
"As a programme team for the Level 3 Diploma in Public Services we were looking for a centre to deliver our practical Water Based Activities unit. Having received a flyer from Rock and River we gave them a call. This was the start of an extremely productive and worth while collaboration which has enhanced the learner experience in addition to providing a safe, robust and cost effective learning environment to deliver this practical unit. The professionalism and enthusiasm of the staff combined with a warm, friendly and supportive learning environment really enabled all of our learners to achieve their full potential. We will be returning for the third year running in 2013. Rock and River really provides a great experience for all, consistently achieving excellent results for our learners".
Anne Hale (Public Service Course Leader) - Lincoln College
“Our students completed Unit 37 as part of the National Diploma in the Sports course. As part of the unit, the students partook in 1 and 2 day expeditions - walking the Yorkshire Dales and camping out. The students thoroughly enjoy staying at Rock and River due to the friendly and relaxed approach that the staff have with our students. The rapport that the Rock and River staff develop with the students over such a small time is fantastic and serves to get the very best out of our students, all of which finish with merit or distinctions. We choose to do this unit within the first couple of weeks of the course as it really helps the students to come out of their shell and bond with the rest of the group. Upon our return to college, Rock and River staff have made several visits to support students to achieve their potential and all internal verification is completed by them. We have chosen Rock and River for the past 3 years and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. It is an excellent centre with the very best of academic and practical equipment with some of the very best outdoor and adventurous instructors”.
Mike Carney (Sports Lecturer) – Hugh Baird College
"The Sports Department at Runshaw College has used Rock & River outdoor activity centre for a number of years. The centre provides our new Extended National Diploma Sports Development students with a full packed day of team building activities and personal achievement goals. The staff are very friendly and supportive. There are a range of small group tasks that are carefully planned out. Rock and River is set in a peaceful location, but it has a buzz of excitement when we attend . I would earnestly council any school college to spend a day Rock and River".
James McKeown - Runshaw College
"We visited Rock and River in September 2010 on two consecutive days and over the 2 days they catered for approx 150 students as part of our 'Getting to Know You' induction week. It was a fabulous couple of days that was jam packed with team building activities both water and land based. All activities were led by friendly, highly skilled instructors who provided top quality service which led to a very successful induction period for our Sport and Public Service Students.
We will definitely be back next year!"
Charlotte Russell - Blackpool and the Fylde College